Caramelised Apple Tarte Tatin Recipe
Caramelised Apple Tarte Tatin RecipePrint
For the tarte tatin
apples (granny smith’s / Goudreinet)
slices of puff pastry
For the (smoked) caramel sauce
- Peel, halve and core the apples. Cut the halved apples into slices around 1,5 cm thick and sprinkle lemon juice onto them. Lay the slices next to each other in a grill basket.
- Heat the grill to 220oc. Place the cast iron skillet on the grill and add the water and sugar. When the caramel turns brown add the butter and take the skillet from the grill.
- Press the apples down in the caramel and cover with the puff pastry dough. Cut away the excessive pastry dough. Place the tarte tatin back in the grill and bake on indirect heat for aproximately 35 minutes.
- Place a cast iron skillet on the sideburner and add sugar and water. When the caramel turns brown add butter and cream. Gently heat untill the sugar has dissolved and the sauce reaches the desired density.
- It is optional to smoke the caramel sauce inside of the grill. Add the soaked wood chips to the smoker box and place inside of the grill chamber. Smoke the caramel sauce for 6 - 7 minutes. Stir the caramel sauce after a few minutes.
- Take the tarte tatin from the grill, turn over and cut into 6 equal pieces. Pour the (smoked) caramel sauce over top of the tarte tatin and if possible serve with a scoop of vanilla icecream and raisins on brandy.
Feel like a professional griller