Boneless Prime Rib Roast Recipe
Boneless Prime Rib Roast RecipePrint
3 to 4 rib prime rib roast, bones removed
Rosemary, fresh, chopped
Thyme, fresh, chopped
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Onions, halved skin on
Carrots, cut into thirds
Celery, cut into thirds
- In a small bowl, combine the chopped fresh thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Generously coat roast with rosemary rub and allow to sit for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Place the onions, carrots, and celery in a walled pan. Place a walled drip pan under one side of the cooking grids. Preheat the grill using the burners that you didn’t place the drip pan on, to a temperature of 450°F.
- Sear the roast over direct heat using the burners that you preheated.
- Add water to the drip pan. Transfer roast to the cooking grids above the drip pan and reduce the grill's temperature to 325°F. Insert the probe from a BBQ thermometer, like Napoleon's Wireless Bluetooth BBQ Thermometer, into the thickest part of the meat and set the unit to go off at 120°F for medium.
- Close the lid and cook the roast for 20 minutes per pound or until thermometer reaches 120 to 125°F. Periodically check the drip pan for water, and add more when necessary. These dripping will be used to make a Jus.
- When the roast reaches the desired temperature, remove from grill and allow to rest at least 20 minutes.
- While the roast is resting, move the drip tray to the hot side of the grill and place it on the cooking grids over medium-high heat. Remove the vegetables and discard them. Add red wine and Worcestershire sauce, reducing slightly. Add beef stock, reducing the liquid by half, season to taste and remove from heat. You can always carefully transfer the liquid to a saucepan for easier handling.
- When ready to serve, remove the string from the roast, slice and serve with the jus.