Cast Iron Oven Cakes
Cast Iron Oven CakesPrint
- 2 stale bread rolls (brioche or toast can also be used)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- Butter for greasing the cast iron pans
- 1 tbsp of butter for baking
- 1 small glass of sour cherries (drained well)
- 150 ml milk
- Ground cinnamon or dessert spice
- 1 free range egg
- 1 tbsp breadcrumbs
- Preheat the grill to approximately 180 degrees for indirect heat.
- Cut the bread in slices of approximately 1cm thickness.
- Warm the milk slightly and dip the bread slices in briefly, set aside
- Layer the cherries and the bread slices alternately in the previously buttered cast iron pans or a casserole dish
- Whisk together the remaining milk, eggs, sugar, cinnamon and salt and divide between the cast iron pans.
- Finally, sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the mixture and top it off with a
- small cube of butter.
- Place the pans inside the grill and bake at 180-200 degrees for approximately 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow the finished oven cakes to cool down for a brief moment, take out of the pans and serve it together with a delicious vanilla sauce.
Feel like a professional griller