Grilled Chili Cheese Dogs on COBS Bread Gourmet Hot Dog Buns Recipe
Chili cheese dogs, like Sloppy Joes, have never really held much interest to me in the culinary sense of things. They just seemed messy, which generally doesn’t bug me. (Just look at my Eggs Benedict Burgers) However, when you’re presented with an opportunity to work with a fantastic ingredient like COBS Bread’s Gourmet Hot Dog Buns, you have to create something brilliant! Grilled Chili Cheese Dogs on COBS Bread Gourmet Hot Dog Buns seemed like the perfect way to utilize their delicious Gourmet Hot Dog Buns, and I may have even found a way of making this meal slightly healthier.
Grilled Chili Cheese Dogs on COBS Bread Gourmet Hot Dog Buns RecipePrint
COBS Bread Gourmet Hot Dog Buns
large ballpark-style, all beef hot dogs
chili like my Ghost Pepper Chili
deli style Havarti cheese
bamboo skewers, soaked for at least 10 minutes
- Preheat the grill to medium, about 350°F.
- Because you want a thicker chili for this recipe, I would suggest straining the chili you are using through a fine sieve to get out as much of the liquid as possible. Then pour the strained chili into a saucepan, and heat it through.
- Take the soaked skewers and carefully thread them up the center of each hot dog. Using a sharp knife, start at one end of the dog and carefully cut through the hot dog until the knife hits the skewer. Cut on a diagonal all the way down the hot dog spinning the skewer in your other hand until you reach the other tip of the hot dog. You can grill the dog on the skewer or take the hot dog off the skewer this part is up to your preference. Just remember to remove the skewer before eating.
- Grill the hot dogs over direct heat for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until nicely charred outside and heated through inside.
- While the dogs are grilling, brush your buns with garlic butter and grill them until crispy, golden, and warm. About 1 minute over direct heat.
- Assemble by placing the sliced cheese inside the buns, followed by the dog. Top that with the hot chili and sprinkle with even more cheese. Eat these with veggies and dip, and maybe a handful of wet-wipes too.
These Grilled Chili Cheese Dogs on COBS Bread Gourmet Hot Dog Buns were delicious. The thick and hearty buns were the perfect vessel for holding a delicious dog of spiral goodness, smothered in spicy beef chili, and surrounded by the perfect amount of melted cheese. In case you are wondering, the perfect amount of cheese is A LOT. Using your own homemade chili will “healthy” up this meal quite a bit, and serving fresh veggies on the side won’t hurt either. These are certainly not your typical fast food hotdogs.