Spatchcock Jerk Chicken Recipe
Spatchcock Jerk Chicken RecipePrint
1 x 2-3 lbs .
Jerk Spice Paste
fresh ginger root, finely grated
1 to 2
Scotch bonnet chilies, finely chopped (remove seeds for less heat)
fresh thyme, chopped
soft brown sugar
lime, cut into wedges
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Remove the backbone of the chicken, then cut through the sternum of the chicken breast without cutting all the way through. Slide the knife along the inside of the sternum and ribcage to remove. Separate from the wing at the joint. Keep leg bones and wings intact.
- Skewer the Chicken through the breast and thigh in an X pattern using Napoleon Stainless Steel Multifunctional Skewers.
- Baste the chicken with the jerk paste and allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Fill a Stainless Steel Smoker Pipe with your favorite flavor of wood chips and place the tube under the cooking grids.
- Preheat the grill to 350°F
- Place the chicken on the grill and close the lid. Allow to cook for 15 to 20 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Flip the chicken to grill the skin side, cooking for another 10-15 minutes and add desired side vegetables. Keep cooking until the chicken reaches an internal temperature 165°F at the leg joints.
- Flip the chicken to show skin side up and baste with extra jerk sauce. Remove from grill, cut to desired serving sizes and serve.
**Do not use any jerk sauce that has touched raw chicken to baste unless you baste the chicken more than 10 minutes before the end of the cook or unless you heat the sauce to a simmer for at least 5 minutes.