Grilled Caesar Salad Recipe by The Edgy Veg
Recipe created in partnership with The Edgy Veg (Candice Hutchings)
My favourite way to get the true taste of summer is to barbeque EVERYTHING. There’s definitely a misconception among my meat-eater friends that vegans don’t BBQ, but we absolutely do! When I lived in a condo, I could only use a communal barbeque on my roof, but now that I’ve moved into a house with a backyard, I’m finally able to have my very own Barbeque!
This easy grilled caesar salad recipe gives a regular salad a run for its money. All you need is a barbeque to grill lettuce and tofu, a bean salad and caesar salad dressing. You can serve it with a side of hummus as well.
Grilled Caesar Salad Recipe by The Edgy VegPrint
blocked tofu, pressed and cut into triangles
olive oil, divided
garlic clove, minced
1 14oz can
white beans, drained and rinsed
sea salt and black pepper to taste
fresh parsley, chopped
romaine lettuce, rinsed, cut in half lengthwise and pat dry
Vegan bacon of choice (or simulated bacon bits) to garnish
Nutritional yeast, to garnish
Hummus, optional, but recommended
- Place cut tofu into the tofu marinade and allow to marinate for 30 mins, set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together dijon mustard, 1 tbsp olive oil, minced garlic, minced capers and lemon juice.
- Add white beans and toss. Taste and season with sea salt and pepper.
- Add half of the chopped parsley, leaving some for garnish, toss to combine and set aside.
- Heat up the BBQ, and bring down to medium heat.
- Using soaked wooden skewers in tofu or tongs, place the marinated tofu onto the BBQ and grill for 5 minutes on each side, until there are nice char marks, brushing with extra marinade as needed.
- Meanwhile, drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil on the romaine heart that are cut in half, sprinkle with some salt and pepper and place them onto the grill, cut side down.
- Grill the romaine for 2 to 3 minutes or until you have some nice charred grill marks.
- One at a time, place the romaine hearts onto a plate, top with bean mixture, and a few pieces of tofu. Drizzle with Ceasar dressing, and you can adsitionally garnish with bacon bits, nutritional yeast, capers, and chopped parsley. Serve with a side of hummus, if using.