Korean Vegan Tacos with Kimchi Yogurt
Who doesn’t love tacos? These are real crowd-pleasers with great flavor and texture. We make the humble butternut squash extra delicious by using Gochujang (a sweet, Korean red chili paste) and a super tasty, and dare we say, even healthy Kimchi yogurt along with lightly salted, lime-marinaded veggies.
Korean Vegan Tacos with Kimchi YogurtPrint
- 12 x 15cm Soft Wheat Tortillas
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 4 tbls of Korean gochujang paste
- 3 tbls Neutral Oil Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 courgette, ribboned
- 1 carrot, julienne
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 lime, zest, and juice separated
- Small handful of coriander, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Sea salt
- Pinch of caster sugar
- 200mls vegan Greek-style yogurt
- 4 heaped tbls of vegan kimchi
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbls Sesame Oil
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds
- Few cracks of black Pepper
- Black sesame seeds
- A small handful of finely chopped chives for garnish
Additional Equipment Needed:
- Small blender
- Small cast iron, or bbq compatible, frying pan
- Start by washing and drying the butternut squash. You can eat the skin (it's delicious) so no need to peel. Cut in half lengthways. Remove the seeds with the pulp and pop in a bowl of water. Cut the squash into 2cm thick half moons and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the Gochujang, lime zest, juice, and oil, and set aside while you light your bbq.
- Cook the squash directly over the coals, turning often until they char slightly and are Al dente, around 10 minutes. The Gochujang will look quite dark, almost charred when grilled. You might need to use a fish slice to release the squash from the grills initially.
- Next, ribbon the courgette using a speed peeler. Place in a medium bowl, mix with a pinch of salt and 2tbls lime juice, 1/2 tsp lime zest, and set aside to marinade. Next, julienne your carrot, finely slice your red onion and chop the coriander, mix together in a bowl with the remaining lime juice and zest, and a pinch of caster sugar.
- Remove the pumpkin seeds from their pulp, the water should help this. Dry them off with some paper towels. Preheat a small cast iron pan and dry toast until they puff up and are crispy, season with some fine sea salt and set aside.
- To make the kimchi yogurt add all the ingredients to a blender and whizz until smooth, transfer to a serving bowl.
- Toast the tortillas directly over the flames on the grill. To pull the tacos together, lay a couple of slices of butternut squash, then a couple of ribbons of salted courgette, a tablespoon or two of the carrot, onion, and coriander mix, then a couple of tablespoons of kimchi yogurt. Garnish with a couple of toasted pumpkin seeds, black sesame seeds, and chives.
Share your best BBQ Taco recipes and photos on our social pages like Facebook and Instagram, using the hashtags #NapoleonGrillsUK and #NapoleonSamandShauna